About The Club
Welcome to Self Defence Central Dojo (SDCD), where we teach traditional Japanese martial arts and self defence.
Self Defence Central Dojo teaches Japanese jujutsu in the form of the well respected Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu jujutsu, and traditional Shotokan Karate for self defence and is a boutique self defence club teaching in the traditional way with small focussed group classes tailored to skill level.
Master Jan de Jong opened his first self defence school in Perth 1952 teaching Jujutsu and Pencak Silat, today the 3rd generation of Perth students are still learning from Jan de Jong’s son, Master Hans de Jong and continuing to teach the self defence system respected by martial artists across Australia and Europe.
Both jujutsu and karate taught at our dojo is oriented toward practical self defence and is suitable for people of all fitness levels and sizes including women and children. Jujutsu is a martial art centred around the principles of self development and self control, employing leverage over strength which is key to it’s practicality and effectiveness even when used by smaller individuals. Karate-jutsu is taught as a compliment to jujutsu training to improve the understanding of stances, balance, powerful striking and unification of breath, body weight and hip power.
Remaining competitive in this commercial world is a necessity however we believe it is more important to continue with our core club values which include
- High quality instruction (typically 20-30+ years experienced Instructors)
- Experience based Trainer and Instructor gradings to ensure the quality of self defence and class instruction is not compromised as the club grows
- Student driven progress provide students with the ability to book into own group sessions for the week based on experience level. Provide optional grading system components including jujutsu, karate, weapons, and teaching elements so students can focus on their interest and specialisation areas.
- Low student to Instructor ratio group personal training sessions structured around the optimum group size of 6 -12 students at the same level of instruction
- Passing on a world recognised standard and complete system in Japanese jujutsu and self defence to the next generation of students while introducing standardisation across Europe with affiliated clubs
- Applying best practice self defence principles and skills to traditional karate kata and fundamentals
- Teaching character development with effective self defence skills
What We Teach
The jujutsu student will learn from the following groups;
- Break falls
- Disengaging mechanics
- Counter strikes
- Striking mechanics
- Body movements
- Unbalancing principles
- Hand grips & clothes holds
- Ground attacks
- Weapon defenses
- Body holds
- Holds & locks
- Wall attacks
- Pressure points
- Using weapons
- Strategies for dealing with multiple attackers
The Shotokan karate system taught at Self Defence Central Dojo is based on the World Karate Federation syllabus, with emphasis on traditional methods to develop powerful stances, striking, focus and practical self defence skills.
A FREE TRIAL is available for anyone that is interested. Simply come along to any of our sessions and speak to one of the friendly staff prior to the class commencing.